I eat breakfast usually at 7 am on working days and then have a long commute to work – I reach around 8.45 am. By 10.30 am, my tummy is growling and grumbling sulkily with hunger and my acidity sears my throat [I have GERD ]
My main mission this weekend was to find food that is:
- low cal
- filling/high protein – milk helps with the acidity
- fruit based
So where else do you need to look- you’re answer is in the smoothie- a meal in a glass! Here it comes…
Low Fat yogurt – 1/2 cup
(I used Nestle Slim Dahi)
Fresh Strawberries -100 grams
Milk – 1/4 cup
(I used toned milk)
Hershey’s Chocolate syrup – 30 grams or 2 tbsp
(You can add more syrup if you want it to be more chocolatey…I found 2 tbsps to be just right for me)
Oats -20 grams
Honey to taste ( You don’t need this if the strawberries are sweet. The Hershey’s syrup has added sugar anyway. If you really want it sweet then add a spoon and see if you like it- I didn’t add honey in mine.)
- Powder the oats in the blender till fine. Remove and keep separately in a small bowl.
- Wash the strawberries and remove the leaves. Cut into small cubes for easier blending. Run it in the blender till it becomes a pulpy liquid- I like mine with little berry chunks so I didn’t make it too fine.
- Add the yogurt, chocolate syrup, milk and oatmeal. Add the honey if you want. (I had kept the ingredients in the fridge the previous night, so the smoothie was mildly cold when I made it. If you want it more cold and more liquidy, then now’s the right time to add some ice cubes into the blender!)
- Blend till smooth.
- Pour into tall glass, garnish with a cut strawberry on the side of the glass. And you’re done!! Enjoy the shake for breakfast or take it with you as a snack
(without the honey)
|Slim Dahi||.5 cup||53||6||1.5||4.1|
|Hershey’s chocolate syrup||30 g/2 tbsp||87.6||20.7||0.3||0.51|